Language Lessons for Children
- Early to mid-elementary age school
- Daily copybook or dictation exercises based on a weekly model taken from classic children's literature, poetry, or Scripture
- Bi-weekly narration lessons from accompanying classic children's book
- Weekly Picture Study lesson
- Weekly Nature Study lesson
Primer One spelling and grammar lessons reinforce spelling rules, introduce basic sentence skills, practice correct word usage with homonyms, antonyms, and synonyms, teach basic letter-writing, and develop rhyming skills. Primer Two reviews and builds on Primer One skills, adding a gentle introduction to eight parts of speech in the context of the literary selection. Students become familiar with simile, personification, onomatopoeia, and alliteration.
Nature study lessons follow the same sequence in both books: compass direction, trees, and mammals in Autumn, the night sky and birds in Winter, flowers, weather and the water cycle, and insects or spiders in Spring. Many excellent resources to accompany these studies are linked on the Primer Resource Webpages.
Picture study lessons are flexible; Cottage Press provides free resources for studying a dozen or more artists.