Language Arts for Intermediate Students
BARDS & POETS
Grammar and composition lessons structured around the narrative stage of the progymnasmata. Each lesson is based either on a narrative from classic children's literature or history, or on a classic poem. Grammar lessons are applied to sentences from the narrative, including challenging sentence diagramming lessons. Also includes studies in poetry, literary analysis, figures of speech, and figures of description. 6th grade and up. Scroll down to read more about Bards & Poets.
Bards & Poets Student Book - Proof Edition 2.0
What is a Proof Edition? It's an "almost final" version. Expect that there will be a few typos or minor errors in this edition. There may also be minor style changes in the final edition. The proof edition is discounted 25% using the Bards & Poets Proof Edition coupon code provided on the Bookstore page. If you purchase a proof edition and wish to buy the final edition later, just send in the cover and the first page of the proof edition to receive a 35% discount on the final edition.
Visit the Bards & Poets Proof Edition 2.0 Updates page for a running list of errata and user suggestions!
Required Accompanying Materials
BARDS & POETS TEACHING HELPS PROOF EDITION 2.0 includes an Answer Key for all grammar exercises (diagramming & parsing!) as well as other exercises which warrant it.
*Bards & Poets Proof Edition 2.0 Student Book and Teaching Helps are updated to accompany the new expanded Sentence Sense Proof Edition 2017. The text of Harvey's Grammar, including the exercises, is incorporated directly into the Sentence Sense resource in response to customer requests! Since the Teaching Helps books contain answer keys for the assigned exercises, you do not need to purchase either the Harvey's text or answer key.
For optional additional review exercises, you may access a Key to Harvey's Practical Grammar online
Recommended Accompanying Literature
More About Bards & Poets
Language Arts for Intermediate Students is a comprehensive classical grammar and composition course for upper elementary to junior high students (6th grade and up). It could also serve as an introductory composition course in high school. Composition lessons are based on the narrative exercise of the ancient progymnasmata. Bards & Poets contains twenty-eight lessons, each designed around a timeless literary or poetry selection. Every lesson includes:
- Poetry & Prose—literary analysis: reading and comprehending the basic elements of a story or poem, including characters, setting, plot, story sequcnce, literary context, poetic rhyme & meter (scansion)
- Language Logic—grammar and word usage: grammar lessons coordinated with Harvey’s Revised Grammar, vocabulary study, parsing the parts of speech, sentence diagramming, and dictation
- Eloquent Expression—style development: building copia (abundant and ready supply) of words and construction, paraphrasing, figures of speech, figures of description
- Classical Composition—imitation of a worthy literary model: outlining and retelling a narrative, summarizing, working with chronology, and employing the writing sequence (plan, write, revise)
- Commonplace Book—a time-honored practice for writers of all ages: collecting and copying worthy literary selections